FOR THE GOOD OF THE ASSOCIATION
BY THE SPIRIT AND STANDARDS OF OUR MENTOR, GEORGE A SCHUTTE, AND IN RECOGNITION OF OUTSTANDING CONTRIBUTIONS OF LEADERSHIP, GUIDANCE, SERVICE AND ON THE FIELD INTEGRITY AND EXCELLENCE IN FOOTBALL OFFICIATING, THE SAN DIEGO COUNTY FOOTBALL OFFICIALS ASSOCIATION HAS HONORED THESE MEMBERS WITH THE GEORGE A SCHUTTE MEMORIAL AWARD.
- 2016: Mike Carey
- 2015: Don Carey
- 2014: Andy Castagnola
- 2013: Jim Sibbet
- 2012: Steve Coover
- 2011: Bob Bahne
- 2010: Not Awarded
- 2009: Jack Garner
- 2008: John Furgeson
- 2007: Not Awarded
- 2006: Ken Flaherty
- 2005: Lou Furrer
- 2004: Bill Tellous
- 2003: Pat Sweeney
- 2002: John Oakley
- 2001: George Schutte
- (1) Retired member of SDCFOA no longer an active working football official for one year at any level of football from Pop Warner to the NFL, including Arena or any new league which could come along (example: XFL, USFL or NFL Europe). Retired member could be an Associate member serving in some such a capacity as an Officer, Assignor, Observer, etc, the on field is what matters, clock starts when official works last game, a non-officiating member or (2) any regular member who is deceased, or currently is rendered incapable to officiate football games anymore due to illness, medical condition, accident, or injury if they have worked a game for the Association within the past 12 months.
- Consideration given to administrative services to the Association as Officer Positions, Board, Committees, and any other administrative duties.
- Consideration given to services to the Instructional Program.
- Overall reputation of the retired member within the football “community”; i.e. officials, coaches, administrators, etc.
- Any other contributions for the good of the Association.
- Retired member should have been an active member of SDCFOA for a minimum number of 10 years, and years would not have to have been consecutively.
- Award can be posthumously.
- Award may or may not be given each year. Committee would decide if acceptable candidates are nominated to form a ballot.
- The President will select a Coordinator to conduct the nomination and voting for the George Schutte Award.
- Any active certified, affiliate or associate member may nominate a retired member for the award.
- From the nominations, the Coordinator will select a minimum of three and no more than five nominees to form a ballot. The Coordinator shall be responsible to make sure nominees are eligible.
- Ballots would be submitted to each Past President of the SDCFOA and each would be asked to vote for one nominee.
- Anyone of the nominees receiving more than 50% of the votes would be the recipient of the George Schutte Award for that year, one award winner per year. If no nominee received 50%, than the top two vote getters and ties would constitute a second ballot and a second vote taken, and so on, until one nominee receives over 50% of the vote.
- Nominations are to be submitted to the Coordinator by October 1 and ballot and voting process completed. The award winner’s name is to be submitted by the Coordinator to the Executive Secretary of SDCFOA no later than November 1 of each year award to be given.