SAN DIEGO COUNTY FOOTBALL OFFICIALS ASSOCIATION, INC.
A Federal Non Profit Tax Exempt Corporation
The Weekly Bull – 7/27/11
- Sign In Sheet – Yellow Pad
- Announcements & Food for Thought 7:00 – 7:30
- Instructional Video 7:30 – 8:00
- Mechanics Exam 8:00 – 8:30
- Adjourn 8:30
- How is your equipment? – Don’t wait to get it out and discover damaged stuff! And don’t forget to donate to the first year officials. Vendors have been at every meeting so far. Take advantage of this.
- Missing a bull, or looking for the meeting schedule, or needing a copy of the mechanics manual??? It’s all on the web! sdcfoa.org
- The board, on an annual basis, elects all officers of the board. Any member who is interested in the positions of executive secretary, treasurer, assignment secretary, or instructional chair need to communicate this in writing to our current executive secretary, Dick Brockett by October 7th.
- Are you studying on your own or in a group? If not, you will not be as prepared as you should/could be. The instructional program for the SDCFOA is built upon the meetings PLUS independent study!
- Special Referee Clinic for all up-and-coming referees and or youth football referees. The presenter will be Steve Coover and special guest. You won’t want to miss this presentation on the referee position, its mechanics, what we expect from youth football referees and a review of penalty administration. Next Wednesday August 5th at 7:00pm Room 402.
- Association Membership Cards – Just a reminder, this card is NOT a guarantee to be admitted to a preseason or league contest for free. Most of the times it will be accepted as a courtesy….but not always. DO NOT get an attitude if you pass is not accepted, just be prepared to pay OR get to the game early and enter with the officials as the enter the stadium 30 minutes before KO
- When a 1st or 2nd year official is visiting a crew, please treat them with respect. We do not have a hazing system! Many are willing to help if needed, but please be respectful and ask for their help….don’t order them around.
Food For Thought:
- When do you need to signal? This is taken from our mechanics manual:
REFEREE will give a preliminary signal to the press box, then explain options. After
stepping off or signaling declination, give signal to chains side. Then signal to press
box sideline. If fouls are announced by the stadium announcer, it’s not necessary to
signal both sides.
Remember, there is no preliminary signal if there is no need to explain the options (ie. False Start). You simply move to your new position from which you will next hack or wind, and then give your signals. Hopefully the stadium announcer is with you and you can signal the press box, turn to see that your officials are ready, and then hack/or wind.
- Mercy Rule Clarification – WE ALL UNDERSTAND THAT …..If at the start of the 4th quarter or at any time during the fourth quarter, the point differential is 35 or more points, a running clock shall be used for the remainder of the contest; AND …Once the “running clock” is in effect during the 4th quarter, it shall remain in effect for the balance of the contest, even if the team that is behind subsequently scores to make the deficit less than 35 points; WE ALSO KNOW THAT …During the 1st, 2nd and 3rd quarters, by mutual agreement of the opposing coaches and the referee, a “running clock” may be used if the point differential between the two teams reaches 35 or more; WHAT WE DIDN’T KNOW WAS …If the coaches agree to a running clock during the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd quarters, can they go back to regular timing???? The answer is NO. Once we begin the Mercy Rule Timing the running clock procedures are in effect for the balance of the contest. We MUST let the coaches know this if they are agreeing to a running clock before the start of the 4th
- Mistake by the Instructional Chair…..At last week’s film session in rooms 401 & 402 I said that the BJ gives up the goalline inside the 20 yard line. This is wrong (unless you’re working a college game on Saturdays). In high school 5-man mechanics the BJ gives up the goalline inside the 15!