SAN DIEGO COUNTY FOOTBALL OFFICIALS ASSOCIATION, INC.
A Federal Non Profit Tax Exempt Corporation – www.sdcfoa.org
THE WEEKLY BULL – 10/9/01
- CAV and attendance – by 8:00
- Announcements and Food for Thought
- Federation Exam (questions 51-75) 7:15 – 7:30
- Film 7:30 – 8:30
- Dismiss at 8:30
- Sunglasses: A healthy discussion of the wearing/not wearing of sunglasses by officials has broken out (thanks Mike Allen). The discussion has two sides and has been forwarded to the mechanics committee for discussion for the 2002 season. A recommendation from the mechanics committee may/or may not be forwarded to the Board for action. You will know next year. In the meantime, officials are not to wear sunglasses when they officiate. The only exception is when an official has a medical excuse to wear them due to a light sensitive eye condition (this is what is meant by a prescription to wear sunglasses). We know of only one official who has this condition and medical excuse. Just because you have sunglasses with a prescription that matches your vision does not excuse you to wear sunglasses, according to our current policy. Please respect our association and our policies. If there is a change in policy, you will hear about it next year.
- Charity Fund update:
- Our fund has made a $500 contribution to support Sean Brady’s recovery. He is a West Hills player that was injured in a game vs. Granite Hills.
- Our fund has made a $500 contribution to the Brett Woodall Scholarship Foundation. Brett was killed in the WTC on 9/11/01. He was the 1988 CIF Athlete of the Year. He played football, baseball and basketball at La Jolla. He attended CAL on a football scholarship.
- This year’s Golf Tournament has been cancelled because of the events that occurred on 9/11/01. Miramar is not allowing non-military on the base.
- John Koran is the winner of 4 tickets to Magic Mountain.
- As of today, the Fund has received pledges from 80 members in the amount of $4160. We can still exceed our goal of $5000 with the support of those officials that have not stepped up.
- All officials are encouraged to honor their “Game Check” pledge by either bring a check to the October 24th meeting or mailing their check to Jake Minger – Chairman.
I want to personally thanks all my fellow officials that have supported our Fund and I look forward to seeing them Banquet. – Jake Minger
- Everyone is getting a copy of the tiebreaker rules we use for high school in San Diego County. We will discuss next meeting. Please read and be ready to participate.
- Tiebreakers – very few schools/conferences are interested in tiebreakers. Both coaches must agree to have a tiebreaker after regulation. It will usually be between schools in the same division who are going to be after a similar seed…. Very unlikely to happen, but be prepared!
- Ratings are due at the banquet….don’t forget.
- Have you paid for the banquet? See Robin House.
- Make up Class – Wednesday November 7th – 7:00 West Hills ZH.S. Room E10
Need to make up Rules Test due to absence or low score:
O’Hanlon, S. Simmons, Weseloh, Wright, Ward, Chitwood, Gaines, Jeff Isham, John Isham, Schmidt, J. Sibbet, J. Simmons, Thomas, Bailey, Rodriguez, Parks, Bjornstadt, Moreno, Wimpie, Strunk, Brown, McLaughlin, Aguilar, Alderson, Aller, J. Christensen, Needham, Battle, Clark, Graber, Montes
Need to make up Mechanics Test due to absence or low score:
- Simmons, Macomber, O’Hanlon, Pittman, Ward, Gaines, Jeff Isham, Schmidt, J. Sibbet, J. Simmons, Fromson, Thomas, Garcia, Mendez, Richardson, Zigrang, Freeman, McLaughlin, K. Smith, Clark, Grigsby
May need to make up attendance:
Kennedy, M. Downing, S. Simmons, Bjornstad, Strunk, Calderon, Zigrang, J. Simmons, Aguilar, Alderson, McLaughlin, Needham, Clark, D’Angelo
Food for Thought:
- Player/Coach Conferences – Please review quickly the guidelines on the back. When we screw this up we look very stupid and the coaches are being extremely patient….Highlights – Authorized and Unauthorized Conference – Rule: teams or player(s) may go to bench and conference with one or more coaches. Teams should conference within 5-yards of the sideline and coaches should be in team box. Water may be provided but attendants stay in team box Application: attendants and coaches can come on field a few yards to separate the players from the non-players. Injury timeouts: we revert back to the rule as we may need to resume play quickly and don’t want the coaches or attendants out on the field.
- Late film script additions – on play #22 the referee should have an angle relationship with the passer, not directly behind him, for a better view. Play #19 the linemen are not on the line of scrimmage. Our mechanic is to warn the players and the coach first…then flag