SAN DIEGO COUNTY FOOTBALL OFFICIALS ASSOCIATION, INC.
A Federal Non Profit Tax Exempt Corporation
The Weekly Bull – 9/12/07
- Attendance/Announcements/Food For Thought: 7:00 – 7:35
- Mechanics Presentations 7:45 – 8:30
Referee – Steve Coover (305)
Umpire – Dave Fleischman (402)
Head linesman/Line Judge – Danny Short / Tom Ables (401)
Back judge – Cal Evans (306)
- Adjourn 8:30
- From the Executive Secretary to the membership - any certified official not wanting to appear on the election ballot should let Dick Brockett know.
- Anyone who needs to be excused from the attendance or test requirement must make a written application to the board via the Executive Secretary no later than the February board meeting.
- Anyone interested in attending a dinner to celebrate the career of Ed Burke, recently retired coach at Torrey Pines HS on Sept. 29th please let Steve Coover know tonight! Cost of the dinner is $60 and the location will be the La Jolla Marriott on La Jolla Village Dr. Coover will provide printed information and order the tix if you are interested.
- Congratulations on the following nominations for the California State Championship Bowl Games in December:
Cal Evans – Referee
Ali Shatula – Umpire
John Downing – HL
Ed Zapolski – LJ
Clay Reynard Jr. – BJ
We will know by banquet time if any/all have been selected to work the game. Congratulations all!
- Instructors should notify officials if they are lagging in attendance or have to make up tests not passed or taken.
Food For Thought:
- Halftime – Please use your diplomatic skills in negotiating the length of the halftime. If the coaches want 15 + 3 then give it to them. The default is 12+3. JV can also be 10+3 if the coaches want. The default on JV would be 7 + 3. Clear as mud!!??
- Reports back from coaches are all positive. Especially strong is our communication with the sidelines and that we’re “letting them play!”
- K punts from mid field. Ball goes beyond LOS and bounces untouched back behind LOS where K caches ball after it bounces to him. All players come to a stop. Team R jogs off of field. Referee tells other officials not to blow the whistle because it is still a live ball (a rookie was at HL). Hearing this, the R player w/ the ball starts running toward his opponents GL. Seeing this, team R runs after him attempting to tackle him at the B4 where K fumbles w/ R recovering ball at B5 and downing it there. During K's run, R22 fouled at the B20.R did NOT recover ball w/ clean hands; the scrimmage kick turned into a running play w/ basic spot at the B4 (end of K's run) where bean bag was placed. Answer:?A's ball, 1st?& goal at B2 after administering R's fould half the distance from the basic spot. Clock starts on the snap due to kick and change of possession.
- In pre game discussion w/ coach over special plays, coach says offense coordinator has a play he wants to run. QB takes hand-to-hand snap, backs up placing ball in his LEFT hand, fakes spiking the ball w/ his RIGHT hand, then bootlegs around for a run. Crew wouldn't let the coach run the play due to intent to deceive. Any input? This happened in a college game, but it certainly could apply to a high school game.
- Most missed questions from the qualification exam – 17, 32, 35, 44, 50, 56, 59, 62, 67, 93, 94
- What is the ruling on a sweep to the right and the running back turns and throws the ball back across the field to offensive tackle #77 who has faded back into the backfield so that he is behind the line of scrimmage?